Your bond with your tortoise or box turtle will last forever, and we are so excited to be a part of it!
If you are interested in adopting from us, simply follow the instructions below and we’ll walk you through the process. We *will not respond* to incomplete applications (unanswered questions, no photos, etc.). We simply don’t have the resources, so if you don’t have time to complete the whole application right now please return at a time that is more convenient for you. Thank you!
What should I know before filling out an adoption application?
Read. Consume every piece of information you possibly can about the species you are interested in – and I’m not talking about information from pet stores or pet books; I mean real information about their habits and ecology. We know that you will love your new little family member, and we want to help you take steps to show that love in a way that is the absolute healthiest and most stress free for your new chelonian.
Things to think about are: How do they live in the wild? What is their habitat like (humid? dry? warm? cool? desert? grassland? forest?)? What do they eat in the wild? Before you fill out an adoption application, make sure that you are prepared to replicate (as closely as possible, of course) the natural habitat and diet for the animal you choose. The Tortoise Table might be able to help you identify some plants to plant in the habitat you’re building – many you can find on clearance at your local home improvement shop. Don’t forget about water, it’s pretty easy to dig a shallow pond and toss a pond liner over it, held with rocks at the edges to keep the liner from slipping in. Even desert species should have access to a water source. Check out the Tortoise Care Tips that we’ve compiled to help you!
***Know what kind of species you are interested in, and build a secure, appropriate outdoor enclosure where your tortoise or box turtle will live full time. Some species (sulcata, red-footed tortoise, leopard tortoise) will need an enclosure that has access to electricity for their heated winter house. Adopting from CTTR requires a naturalistic outdoor enclosure with tortoise-safe vegetation, housing or hiding places, and access to water.***
What are the steps for adopting through CTTR?
- Familiarize yourself with the ecology of the species you are interested in.
- E-mail photos of your outdoor enclosure.
- Acceptable outdoor enclosure photos show a current dated newspaper or a piece of mail with your name on it – in the same frame as the enclosure (not sent as two separate pictures). Unfortunately, we’ve had people copy photos from the internet and try to pass them off as their own, so we require photos in this manner to prove that they are authentic and current. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to respond to incomplete applications, and if you do not submit the application form AND photos, we will not be able to consider your application for adoption.
- Click here to fill out an application
- You will be taken to a separate page. Please be as thorough as you can while filling out your application. The more information we have, the better we can match you to the perfect shell-baby! Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to respond to incomplete applications, so please be as thorough as you can and don’t forget to send photos. Thank you for understanding!
Once your adoption application is approved, we will send you a link to our calendar of availability. You can choose a date and time that work for you, and you will be presented with our address at that time (for your planning purposes, we are in San Marcos, Texas). It is very important that you keep this appointment, or contact me to reschedule as soon as you know you will not make it. If you no-show without notice your adoption application will be cancelled and you will be removed from our system. (Why?)
We no longer allow people into our home to use the restroom (not even senior citizens or children…I’m sorry). There are gas stations within five to ten minutes either direction from our location, so please plan accordingly. Thank you for respecting our family’s privacy.
**We have an adoption fee for most animals. Your adoption fee goes toward caring for all of the tortoises and box turtles here at CTTR. Read this post for a breakdown of how your adoption fee is applied.**